Ok it’s been a few days since my first post about Battlefield Bad Company 2 (BFBC2) where I had a little rant about the network and server issues but it’s still going and there are a few other little things that I’ve found while playing the online multiplayer.
So yes they have been working on fixing what they have call high surge of traffic causing server overload across all platforms with planned maintenance, where they are increasing the dedicated resources for Battlefield Bad Company 2 (BFBC2) but when you read the first week player stats like:
- The 4 different soldier types have gathered a score of more than 34 Billion.
- There’s been more than 400M kills made.
- 1.3M roadkills
- Squads and Teams have assisted each other to 6.2 Billion points.
It’s not surprising that there could have been issues. But EA should have anticipated this (which clearly they did not) with the records for pre orders, projected sales and even how busy the demo was. There was plenty of information to predict what requirement they would need.
Also, when the planned maintenance occurs and you’re mid game it will allow you to continue playing for the net half hour or so, but all points collected in that time are lost and you are removed from the game –without notice from the game. And I have seen bugs with unlocks when the stats become available again after 1 of the planned maintenances where I was kicked mid game, luckily it was in my favour this time.
There is information in the interweb about any issues and the planned maintenance from EA and Battlefield Bad Company 2 (BFBC2) this can be found on their blog and Twitter feed:
Other flaws that have come to life while playing the online multiplayer with Lostagent2 and EnergiserX (my gaming buddies) is the game balancing system, in previous Battlefield games it would move players to the other team to balancing the game, we have seen on multiple times 1 side have a full team with the other as low as 1 or even a team of 6 against an empty team. And even when the teams are balanced they team sizes can be down to under 4, with all the players out there playing surely there isn’t a need for such small games and 2 or 3 of these small games could be merged into 1 large game.
We have also identified a few little bugs in the actual game play, such as;
- In game lag (which can get quite bad at times)
- Vehicles can move through walls, without the problem of it being a solid item
- Weapons could not fire (but you get the sound), reload, or even work at all during online play.
Interesting enough I’ve read online that installing the game to the Xbox hard drive can help with some of these issues, even though I’ve heard many reports that installing a game to the hard drive actually reduces performance not increase it. I have installed Battlefield Bad Company 2 (BFBC2) and other than my Xbox doesn’t make nearly as much noise as it did before, I have not noticed any changes in performance.
Now on a plus side; the next 2 downloadable maps for Battlefield Bad Company 2 (BFBC2) have and official release date of the 30th of March 2010 and VIP players (ones who pre-ordered the game) will receive this map free. The 2 maps will be
- Arica Harbor Conquest mode – US Command launches a break through action directly at the Russian base. Collateral damage is of no consequence. Capture and secure tactical positions in Conquest Mode across the vast Arica Harbor map.
- Laguna Presa Rush mode – The valley and surrounding mountains possess a strategic value in the battle for South America, and an infantry assault supported by light armor vehicles is likely by both armies as US forces defend the nearby Dam
If you missed it, you can check out my original review on Battlefield Bad Company 2 (BFBC2) here.